Ladies and Gentlemen of the Colorado Senate,
As I cannot be at the Capitol to testify, I would like to tell you about two friends who died all too young as a result of gun violence.
Last July, a friend of several years was killed in the Aurora theater shooting. Three years ago, an old friend committed suicide by shooting himself.
While my friends were killed with guns, they were not killed by guns. Someone could have detonated a pipe bomb outside the Century 16 while hundreds of people stood waiting to enter. My other friend could have committed suicide with a knife, a rope or a bottle full of pills. Gun confiscation would not have prevented either tragedy.
Depriving people of access to a certain set of tools will not stop them from doing bad things. They will merely find other means to do evil.
I will not pretend to speak for anyone else affected by these tragedies. However, I will not yield one inch to the demands of those who wish to infringe on my God-given constitutionally-guaranteed right to defend myself. In a world where bad people with guns are undeterred by laws, good people must not be limited in their right to self-defense.
The ultimate purpose of the Second Amendment is the “security of a free state.” Not just any old willy-nilly state, mind you, but a free state. The “right of the people to keep and bear arms” is the ultimate check against an out-of-control government.
Is that “out-of-control” an exaggeration? Consider a few things:
- The national debt is $17 trillion.
- We have the world’s highest incarceration rate.
- Police brutality is absolutely rampant.
- Sexual molestation is a conditional of travel.
- Americans are perhaps the most spied on people in world history.
- Sick people face prison time for healing themselves with a plant that grows wild in most counties.
- The health care system has been regulated and micromanaged to the point that it is unaffordable for millions of people.
- The president can order anyone incarcerated indefinitely without any semblance whatsoever of due process.
I could go on extensively.
The attorney general recently stated that he would not rule out the possibility of killing American citizens with predator drones. A government that will do this is truly out of control and will stop at nothing to tyrannize those living under it.
This is why the American people must not relinquish their last line of defense against such a government.
This is why I urge all 35 of you to vote NO on the following seven bills:
- House Bills 1224, 1226, 1228 and 1229
- Senate Bills 195, 196 and 197
Please do likewise on any other “gun control” measure that comes before you.
Thank you for reading this.
To support and defend,
Douglas F. Newman
Storekeeper First Class
US Naval Reserve, Retired
If you would like to post this off of Facebook, please email me and include a link to this URL. Thanks! dfn