Why is marijuana illegal?
“Because it is bad for you,” say the moral nanomanagers of the world.
Meanwhile, out in real life, the Heart Attack Grill is alive and well and operating in Downtown Las Vegas. (Their other two locations in Dallas and in the Phoenix suburb of Chandler both closed voluntarily. The Chandler location did so after its 575-pound spokesman went to meet his Maker at age 29.)
And why can this Arizona woman do this to herself without Ninja-clad tax-mainlining goons kicking down her door sans a judge’s warrant and spraying lead? (Did she ever make it to the Chandler Heart Attack Grill? It was only a 40-minute ride up I-10 from Casa Grande, where she lives.)
And why are so many prescription drugs with about 88 terrifying potential side effects each advertised on radio and TV every day? Consider something called NuVigil, that supposedly helps you stay awake if you are graveyarding it. The following is from NuVigil’s own website.
- “NUVIGIL may cause serious side effects including a serious rash or a serious allergic reaction that may affect parts of your body such as your liver or blood cells, and may result in hospitalization and be life-threatening. If you develop a skin rash, hives, sores in your mouth, blisters, swelling, peeling, or yellowing of the skin or eyes, trouble swallowing or breathing, dark urine, or fever, stop taking NUVIGIL and call your doctor right away or get emergency help.
- “You should not take NUVIGIL if you have had a rash or allergic reaction to NUVIGIL or PROVIGIL® (modafinil) Tablets [C-IV], or are allergic to any of the following ingredients: modafinil, armodafinil, croscarmellose sodium, lactose monohydrate, magnesium stearate, microcrystalline cellulose, povidone, or pregelatinized starch.
- “Stop taking NUVIGIL and call your doctor or get emergency help if you get any of the following serious side effects:
- “Mental (psychiatric) symptoms, including: depression, feeling anxious, sensing things that are not really there, extreme increase in activity (mania), thoughts of suicide, aggression, or other mental problems.
- “Symptoms of a heart problem, including: chest pain, abnormal heart beat, and trouble breathing.
- “Common side effects of NUVIGIL are headache, nausea, dizziness, and trouble sleeping. These are not all the side effects of NUVIGIL.”
Contrast this with the side effects of marijuana: goofiness, munchies and an uncontrollable urge to vedge out to pre-Dark Side of the Moon Pink Floyd tunes.
Go sell your “gateway drug” jive somewhere else. People typically drink alcohol – which is far more fraught with peril – before they burn hippie lettuce. Why do we not draw the line at Olde Demon Rum? Or with diet soft drinks that are laced with aspartame? Better yet, why do we not do so with the absolutely damnable substance that is dihydrogen monoxide?
The War on Drugs and Plants that Uncle Sam Doesn’t Like is just a bigger, uglier and costlier version of what failed so miserably between 1920 and 1933.
And if you think this doesn’t effect you, think again. A government that will criminalize possession and consumption of a plant that probably grows wild in your zip code knows no limits on its power and will do absolutely anything to its subjects.
Just why is marijuana illegal?