By Doug Newman – email me here.
Follow me on Facebook.
Posted at Reddit, Liberty Crier and Popular Liberty.
If you would like to post this elsewhere, please just link to this URL as I update my articles rather frequently.
Me. Ricky Recruit. 1983.
On the Friday just before Memorial Day in 1983, I graduated from Navy boot camp at the now-defunct Recruit Training Command in Orlando, Florida. I was going to be “keeping America free”. Or at least that is what everyone told me.
Herewith is a partial list of freedoms that Americans have willingly relinquished since I joined the Navy.
• The debt has grown from $1 trillion to $18 trillion.
• The federal budget has grown from $800 billion to almost $4 trillion.
• The prison population has grown from 300,000 to over 2 million. (“The land of the free” has the highest incarceration rate on earth.)
• The number of people on food stamps has grown from 1 in 50 to 1 in 7.
• The police have gone from being from a minor annoyance to being an occupying army.
• A national health insurance mandate has gone from being Ted Kennedy’s pipedream to a grotesque, totalitarian reality.
• Not a single federal program or agency – let alone department – has been eliminated. Indeed, all of them has grown bigger and uglier and many new ones have been created.
• Since 9/11, the majority of the American people have accepted – in the name of “safety” and “security”: putting entire cities on lockdown, warrantless searches and spying, the suspension of habeas corpus, sexual assault as a condition of travel, indefinite detention without any semblance of due process, severe restrictions on peaceful protest and surveillance drones in our skies watching our every move. And don’t dare think for a minute that we won’t accept predator drones in domestic law enforcement, as there are already precedents.
And if you think that by “terrorists”, the powers that be are only talking about scary looking brown guys with names like Mahmoud and Omar, think again. Various federal documents identify 72 types of people as “potential terrorists”.
In every election, 98 percent of people vote to perpetuate this madness.
And look up “Jade Helm”. Don’t believe everything you read. Do your own thinking and research. However, you need to ask yourself: since we tolerated widespread police brutality and militarization, the mass murder of innocents at Waco and the lockdown of Boston, why wouldn’t we let the military act recklessly against the American people on a very broad scale?
America’s freedom is not being “taken from us”. Instead, we are giving it away. Gladly!
This nauseates me.
Liberals are at least honest about their belief in big government.
Conservatives talk like Patrick Henry and then vote for people who govern like Maxine Waters. They support wars for empire, wars on drugs, spying, torture, trade sanctions and embargoes, rogue cops and guilt without trial. They also support corporate bailouts, massive debts and deficits and look the other way when their presidents raise taxes and give us things like gun-free schools, No Child Left Behind and Medicare Part D. In other words, they have no objection at all to big, fat, ugly, four-dimensionally obese government when it advances their agenda.
They are bigger liars than liberals. And THAT is saying something.
Please don’t thank me for my service. Instead, look in the mirror and acknowledge your part in enabling tyranny in America. I did this in late 1991 and I walked off the two-party plantation in early 1992.
It has been said that when someone realizes they are honestly mistaken, they either stop being mistaken or they stop being honest.
I am not morally superior to you or to anyone, but I stopped being mistaken. What are you, reader, going to do?
Start by thanking this guy.
I consider my true service to America to be my liberty activism over the last 23 years. And I haven’t done jack squat compared to a lot of people I can think of. Thank them before you thank me.
Wake up! Get a clue! Start realizing that the true threat to your freedom does not come from any terrorist group or foreign government. And, truth to tell, it does not come from Washington, D.C.
Rather, it comes from “we the people” and our insistence on electing the same people again and again. And it comes from our abject ignorance of our God-given rights.
If you insist on voting for the “lesser evil” – no matter how evil that may be – because of “electability”, don’t be surprised when God lets so much evil run amok. To quote the old Toyota jingle, you asked for it and you got it.
It IS happening here. Free-DUMB!
We know everything about some politician’s email scandal and nothing about how the Bill of Rights applies to us at a traffic stop or when we are called to serve on a jury. We think that tyranny “can’t happen here.”
It CAN happen here. It IS happening here. It was happening long before anyone ever heard of the current president. And it is all happening with our blessing. Every last contemptible bit of it. If there ever was a people who got EXACTLY the government they deserve it is the American people in 2015.
Liberty is a gift from God, not the military. The duty of the military is to defend the borders, shores and airspace. It cannot defend our liberty. That is our job.
There is no more vile form of disrespect to our sailors, soldiers, airmen and marines than to send them all over the world “to fight for our freedom”, where no threat exists, while at the same time giving away that freedom here at home.